Mark Douglas, Partner
Mark first qualified as a barrister and solicitor in New Zealand.
In recent years, much of Mark's work has involved companies and trusts set up by wealthy individuals and families. He advises on general corporate and commercial law, including M&A, joint ventures, reorganisations and restructurings, and commercial contracts.
Mark was a partner at Reed Smith for 15 years where he worked on many large (£100m+) international transactions.
Clients describe Mark as sensible, pragmatic and commercial. His clients have tended to stay with him for many years.
Mark's experience includes:
- Advised on the sale of Wolverhampton Wanderers football club for Sir Jack Hayward, and secured the cash injection the club needed for its subsequent competitive success.
- Advises the family behind one of the UK's leading information services companies on its family trust structure, family shares and periodic changes to its structure.
- Advised a large container shipping company on a £162m management buyout, backed by a leading private equity company, and on the €478m sale of a European subsidiary.
- Advised a leading US supplier of tooling and industrial materials on the European aspects of a $605m acquisition.
- Advised a member of a wealthy family during highly-publicised litigation brought by a relative. Mark coordinated the different legal professionals working on the case, which was won by his client.